Wednesday, June 15, 2016

We're Gonna Need A Bigger...Cake!

Today's card was specifically made with my youngest nephew in mind. For years, he's been obsessed with sharks. He thinks they're so cool! When I saw the Hello Chum set from Avery Elle, I knew I had to have it so I could make him a birthday card!


I started this card by taking a piece of watercolor paper and blending 3 different blue distress inks to create the base. When those were blended well, I laid the stencil over the top and then continued blending even more color into it. I removed the stencil after I had a good blend and I got that beautiful wave background! I then stamped my images and colored them with my Copics. I used my Brother Scan 'N Cut 2 to cut the pieces out with a small white border. Next up was die-cutting my top piece. I simply ran the piece through once to get that border stitching and then cut the circular portion out with another die. I stamped my sentiment on the front in black ink and (because I had a bit of smudge!) I stamped the little fishies that look like they're "nibbling" the sentiment.

My watercolor piece was a tiny bit smaller than the card base (1/4 inch in each dimension) so I adhered it directly to the base with some Be Creative double sided tape. I used foam tape to adhere the white front panel and then placed my images into the circle with some more foam tape.

The inside sentiment reads "Cake! Happy Birthday". I think my little shark-loving nephew is really going to love this!

I'm going to enter this card into this week's CASology challenge - masculine. I think it fits right in! I'm also entering this into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - animal magic!





7 comments:

  1. Clever, clever, clever. Made me laugh. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love this card! Such a gret sentiment

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is super cute...love the shark bite out of the surf board and the slick look of the shark. Thanks for sharing...Such fun....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done, Rachel! Your coloring is fantastic! Thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great card, love your scene !

    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one awesome background!!! Love this! It's perfect for your nephew!
    Thank you so much for joining us again over at CASology! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blues are so great! And the shark, waves, and bitten surfboard are awesome for your nephew! Thanks for playing along with us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete